Getting Unstuck: Play Therapy for Children and Teens with OCD
Obsessive-Compulsive disorder is frequently misdiagnosed and often treatments are not consistent with the evidence – which shows that Exposure and Response Prevention (E/RP) is most effective. Since this treatment asks children to face their fears, it is critical to engage the child and his/her family. Play Therapists are uniquely qualified to help make the treatment tolerable.
You will learn Play therapy techniques to help the child make sense of his/her OCD. We will demonstrate how to create exposures to have the most impact using play therapy. Case examples will help you avoid a common mistake – reinforcing the OCD. We will discuss the benefits of including the parents as part of the treatment team.
Working with children with OCD using Play therapy is enjoyable and extremely rewarding. Come join us to learn a more effective approach!
After the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Define Obsessive and Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and identify 3 subtypes.
- Understand assessment tools for OCD in children including the C-YBOCS.
- Discuss the importance of play therapy techniques for building rapport and increasing motivation during the treatment of OCD.
- Practice 2 play therapy techniques that help children externalize OCD.
- Demonstrate at least 6 play therapy techniques for exposure and response prevention treatment (ERP).
- State 3 ways parents can participate in treatment and increase successful outcomes.
6 Contact Play Therapy Credit Hours approved through the Association
for Play Therapy.
“APT Approved Provider 15-439”
Presenters: Meg Clark Soriano, MA, LPC, ACS, RPT-S and Rachel Hutnick, MA, LPC, RPT
Location: Center for Counseling and Education of Medford
66 North Main Street
Medford, NJ 08055
Parking is available in the rear of the building.
To register download the Registration Form here: Seminar Registration Form
You may mail the completed registration form with a check to Center for Counseling and Education, 19 East Main Street, Marlton, NJ 08053
Email the completed registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org and submit payment by credit card here:
Link to the CFCENJ Payment Portal
Please enter Workshop code – OCD2019
2019 dates will be posted soon!
To register: Call 609-714-8400 or email email@example.com
Questions about the training can be emailed to Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations must be received in writing (email is fine) 14 days prior to the training date to receive a refund. With advance notice, payment can be transferred to another person. Full refunds will be given if the training is canceled.